On December 26, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) approved Stoneridge’s exemption application to federal law, allowing its MirrorEye® Camera Monitor System (“CMS”) to be installed as an alternative to conventional rear-vision mirrors currently required on commercial motor vehicles in the United States. Stoneridge MirrorEye CMS is the only FMCSA-exempted* driver vision system that replaces a truck’s mirrors with integrated external digital cameras and digital monitors inside the cab of the truck. This provides the driver with a more complete view of operating conditions over traditional mirrors.
MirrorEye CMS Delivers Improved Driver Vision and Blind Spot Elimination
Stoneridge’s MirrorEye CMS has been proven to meet or exceed the visibility requirements of conventional mirrors. MirrorEye provides the following benefits:
- Greater field of view and elimination of common blind spots — Three views, including wide angle, narrow angle and passenger-side “look-down” cameras, greatly expand the driver’s field of view and eliminate blind spots
- Dependable design — Independent video processing of multiple camera images ensures that in the unlikely event of an individual camera failure, the other camera images continue to be displayed. Real-time images are continuously displayed without interruption.
- Augmented and enhanced vision quality — High-definition digital cameras provide greater fields of view, including color night vision, low light sensitivity, glare reduction, superior views in inclement weather and trailer panning capabilities.
- Advanced trailer panning — The CMS automatically tracks the end of the trailer to keep it in view while the vehicle is moving forward. This feature could eliminate right-hand turn collisions with motorists and pedestrians.
- Reduced fuel consumption from aerodynamic design — Removing mirrors during fleet trials and in European trucks has demonstrated a fuel cost savings of roughly two to three percent per year, which in addition to the significant safety benefits, can also improve the operator’s bottom line.
- 24/7 roadside support — 24/7 roadside support offer drivers peace of mind in the unlikely occurrence of a multi-camera failure or vision obstruction.
For North American commercial vehicle fleets looking to experience MirrorEye through an evaluation, please visit TryMirrorEye.com.
What Industry Experts Are Saying About MirrorEye
Glynn Spangenberg, Spangenberg Partners
“This is a foundational platform for the future.”
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA)
“The Agency has determined that granting the exemption to allow use of the MirrorEye system in lieu of mirrors would likely achieve a level of safety equivalent to or greater than the level of safety provided by the regulation.”
Randy Mullett, veteran trucking industry consultant, Mullett Strategies
“I think 10 years from now no new trucks will be sold with standard mirrors. MirrorEye is that big of a game-changer.”
Molly MacKay Zacker, vice president of operations, MacKay and Co.
“It could be a huge win-win. The industry and FMCSA have been looking at these things for a long time. Forward-looking monitoring systems, braking systems, I mean it’s all come full circle in the name of safety. So, one more safety feature on the truck that might give a broader range of view to the driver, I would say that would be a plus.”
Deryk Powell, president, Velociti, Inc.
“Stoneridge has done an extraordinary job of bringing a game-changing technology to the market with MirrorEye, and we look forward to providing our professional services exclusively to Stoneridge’s customers to ensure they are able to fully realize the benefits of the solution.”
*MirrorEye is the only federally approved CMS that allows for complete removal of traditional mirrors in the United States, as exempted by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration [Read more]. The system is available for aftermarket and retrofit truck installation in the United States. Stay tuned for news and announcements at www.Stoneridge.com/media.
To learn more about Stoneridge’s European MirrorEye system for bus and coach, please click here.